Thursday, August 16, 2012

Callie

Every groomer has a dog or two that has left a big spot on their heart. This is one such story.

Callie was a sweet fun loving Australian Shepherd. She loved coming to the grooming shop. Callie's owner was a very successful business woman. She was also very busy. Callie would come in for a bath and stay 2-3 days at a time. Callie really didn't seem to mind, as she was spoiled by everyone who worked at the Grooming Shop. When her owner would come to get her, we would all offer to adopt Callie, if she ever decided to give her up. We would all joke about who would get to keep her.. Any one of us would have taken her home

In early 2001, I had been having a rough week. My husband was out of town, I was getting prepared to move into a new home and my Shih Tzu was having kidney failure and had to be put down. Three days later, my Lhasa went out into the road and was hit. I say she was missing her friend and went looking for him as she never ventured to the road before. I was heartbroken. I remember thinking how empty my new house was without a dog around. 

Two days after I moved in, Callie's owner called up to the shop. Our manager, called out to everyone, "Callie's owner said she is bringing Callie in for us to adopt her out". I called dibs before anyone even had a chance to respond. 

I took Callie home in February 2001. She was a blessing to me. She loved the boys and having a family who would spend time with her. Callie loved to play fetch. Callie was loyal and loving. She was a chubby little Aussie, as her previous owner gave her treats  in lieu of attention. She was working it off now tho! 

In March, Callie started to pee on our wood floors. Callie was such an obedient dog, I knew there was another issue. I suspected a urinary tract infection. I treated with natural remedies and when that didn't work I took her in to the vet. I was stateside to find out that Callie was not plagued with a UTI, she was in the later stages of Type -1 diabetes. Her doctor said that with insulin she could live a few more years, without, less than a year. I began giving Callie injections twice a day. 

Callie lost weight over the summer, more than we had planned. When I took her to her first vet appt she was 65lbs.  I put her on a premium holistic puppy food and a seaweed supplement to help boost her immune system. She started to lose her eyesight as well. By fall, Callie was 40lbs and 90% blind, but she was happy. Callie woke up wagging her tail, and went to bed with a smile every day. 

Callie was a strong dog. She loved being a dog, more than any other dog I have met in my 16 years of working with pets. Callie went downhill fast that fall. It was hard to see her begin to suffer. But I waited for her to make that call. One day in November, she told me it was time. I took her in and said good-bye. We buried her in our back yard. I had never loved a dog as much as I loved Callie. I still cry every time I tell this story, even 11 years later.. She was a very special dog. 


For more information on Pet Diabetes, click here

1 comment: