Friday, August 17, 2012

Life with Cats

Every homestead should have a cat or two to control the mice and other pests. I am not a cat person per se, but I have trained all of my cats, which is a must. I prefer, hands down, male cats. I have trained all my cats to come when called, to be affectionate, and obedient.. and to be child proof. They must also serve their purpose. They mostly survive off of table scraps and the food they catch. Preferably, mice.

Our cat Sweetie is a year old. He is an excellent hunter. He has taken our new kitten Thor, who is about 4 mos old under his wing and has trained him to be an excellent hunter. This morning however, I am not pleased, but cant help admire their skill and teamwork. Sweetie caught a robin. The robins family is making a huge fuss outside in the yard. The robin is squaking. The other birds are swooping in chasing the cat. I tell Sweetie to drop it, and he does. I can see the robin is injured so I let him have the bird. Thor comes running to see the commotion. He watches Sweetie for a few moments then walks over for a closer look. Sweetie gives Thor the bird. He is too young to catch a bird that size, but he is parading it around like a champion. Sweetie finds a spot to relax on the porch while Thor enjoys his treat.

I have always been fascinated with animal behavior. Watching this scene unfold this morning was no exception. The robins teaming up to save one in danger, chasing and attacking this cat who has captured their friend. My older cat catching this bird for his meal, and then giving it to the kitten. The kitten could not have overpowered him and taken it, he somehow felt the need to care for his fellow friend (family).

We can learn alot from a cat. Remember, our children watch our every move. Our younger generations learn everything from us. We are their teachers. Make sure your lesson is a good one.

2 comments:

  1. This one is really cute. Those with really good pets must take help form the Pet Grooming Tips to maintain good health of your pets and let them live happily for longer hours.

    ReplyDelete